The Thaxton Baptist Church was organized in 1856 and was known originally as the Wolf Hill Church. It served at first as a "union" church of Baptists and Methodists.
The church's first structure was a small wooden building located east of Route 681, four -tenths of a mile south of Route 460.
On March 2, 1913 members of the member's of Thaxton Baptist voted to build a new church building at the church's present site in Thaxton on a lot given by Dr. William O. McCabe. A vestibule was added in 1922. In 1932 the church approved a basement to be built under the church building.
In June of 1948 an organ dedication service was held. This Hammond organ was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Allen in memory of their son, John. On Sunday morning, October 10, 1948, a fire broke out in the church building a few hours before services were about to start and caused $12,000 to $14,000 worth of damage.
Sunday School could not be held that day, but later in the morning, after the fire was under control, a special service was held in the churchyard. On the following Sunday, services were held at Thaxton Elementary School. By the next Sunday arrangements had been made for the church to begin meeting in a canning factory in Thaxton